The French government has stated that:
We will continue the deployment of forces on the ground and in the air.
So this is the official narrative of France and those who support it. And of course this is what is widely reported by the mainstream media.
France is supported by other NATO members. US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta confirmed that the US was providing intelligence to French forces in Mali.  Canada, Belgium, Denmark and Germany have also publicly backed the French incursion, pledging logistical support in the crackdown on the rebels. 
If we are to believe this narrative we are misled again about the real reasons. A look at Mali’s natural resources reveals what this is really about.
- Circle of Nioro and Bafoulabe: Garnets and rare magnetic minerals
- Circle of Bougouni and Faleme Basin: Pegmatite minerals
- Le Gourma – garnet and corindons
- L’Adrar des Ilforas – pegmatite and metamorphosing minerals
- Hombori Douentza Zone: quartz and carbonates
Other mineral resources and potential in Mali:
- Copper: potentialities in Bafing Makan ( Western Region) and Ouatagouna ( Northern Region)
- Marble : Selinkegny ( Bafoulabe) 10.6 MT estimated reserves and traces at Madibaya
- Gypsum: Taoudenit ( 35 MT est.), Indice Kereit ( Nord de Tessalit) 0.37 MT est.
- Kaolin: Potential estimated reserves ( 1MT) located in Gao ( Northern Region)
- Phosphate: Reserve located at Tamaguilelt, production of 18,000 t/per annum and an estimated potential of 12 million tonnes. There are four other potential deposits in the North of 10 million tonnes.
- Lithium: Indications in Kayes ( Western Region) and estimated potential of 4 million tonnes in Bougouni ( Southern Region)
- Bitumen schist: Potential estimated at 870 million tonnes, indications found in Agamor and Almoustrat in the Northern Region.
- Lignite: Potential estimated at 1.3 million tonnes, indications found in Bourem ( Northern Region)
- Rock Salt: Estimated potential of 53 million tonnes in Taoudenni ( Northern Region)
- Diatomite: Estimated potential of 65 million tonnes in Douna Behri ( Northern Region)